Acne inversa is the same condition as Hidradenitis suppurativa, just easier to pronounce.
It looks like boils and abscesses that recur in the armpits, groin, and under the breasts, leaving open wounds, secondary infections and scarring. Yes, its very nasty, painful and recurrent condition that tends to occur more often in women than men, and is associated with being overweight, insulin resistant and cigarette smoking.
Patients with Acne inversa often experience anxiety and depression due to the nature, location and chronicity of symptoms.
I don’t believe Acne inversa is purely caused by lifestyle choices. The prevalence in women more than men already suggests that there is hormonal involvement. Women often report pre-menstrual flares of symptoms and complete resolution once they reach menopause.
There is a growing body of evidence suggesting that Acne inversa is an autoimmune condition as it co-occurs with other autoimmune conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease (eg Crohns disease and Ulcerative colitis) and arthritis.
Acne inversa can be very resistant to standard medical care, requiring a rapid escalation in treatment from antibiotics to monoclonal antibodies and surgery, all of which are associated with considerable side effects.
With all of that in mind I find that treatment is far more effective when careful consideration is given to the bigger picture, that is, all the elements that might be affecting the condition:
- blood sugar control
- reducing toxic burden and enhancing systems of elimination
- hormonal balance and detoxification
- autoimmunity and inflammation
- immune system support
This is a lot to consider, which is why having someone on your team to figure out what’s what is useful.
With the functional medicine approach to treating Acne Inversa
- Your situation will be thoroughly assessed, and a personalised 6-month treatment program will be designed specifically to address the reasons you have acne inversa.
- You will receive ongoing practical support through 1 on 1 health coaching
- Functional medicine testing to uncover hidden drivers will be recommended to advance your recovery.
Take back control today by booking a discovery call.